Recently I was reflecting on my past. And I realised it's full of people, from strangers to 'friends' to the media telling me I'm fat and need to change that if i want to be 'acceptable' in their eyes.
"If you lose weight and become skinny you will:
*Be happier
*Be considered beautiful
*Be popular
*Have no problems - because thin people don't have any
And...it's horse crap. Complete and utter, Grade A, stick-it-on-your-flowerbeds, horse crap.
I mean, at the moment I'm a slightly overweight geek who loves to cook, do crafts and make things. Being 'thin' wouldn't change me in any way, I'd just be a thin geek who loves to cook, do crafts and make things. That's about it.
It's why I was glad to read about Tess Holliday, she's a UK 26 (US 22) and...she's so amazingly glamorous in her photoshoots that it makes me proud (and green with envy - how dare she be more glam than me! ;) )
I don't know how far this will go to changing the deeply ingrained 'models need to be walking skeletons!' idea, but it gives me hope that things in the fashion world are changing, if only slowly.
It doesn't mean I'm going to stop losing weight, but I'm never going to be a stick either, I'm not built to be. I'm built like a 1950's pin-up (big hips, big boobs, and a tiny little nipped-in waist when I'm down to 11st)
Well, I'm off, the sun's out and I've garden chores to do (is it possible to be glam in shorts when you're covered in garden furniture paint? No idea, but let's find out!)
No comments:
Post a Comment